Translate Your eLearning Systems
eLearning programs open up a world of possibilities for students and employees by offering everything from school classes and university programs to job orientations and certifications. However, creating an eLearning program that is only available in English leaves a large percentage of the world’s population without access to this service. Therefore, creating multilingual content is necessary to be more successful. Translation services for eLearning are a fast and efficient way to expand the reach of a course or training to a global audience.
ELearning’s contribution to a remote world
The events of 2020 and 2021 showed us that almost everything can be done online, from shopping and working to training and learning. We are adapting to a globalized and more broadly a world of remote interactions where geographic location is not an impediment to people’s availability of resources, as long as they have access to the internet. For this reason, there has been a huge increase in demand for eLearning translation services.
Now, what does eLearning mean? It is a contraction of the English term electronic learning and refers to a system of learning in any area, which is offered through the Internet. This term has been widely used in recent years and has been translated into Spanish as aprendizaje virtual, aprendizaje en línea and aprendizaje electrónico. However, it is also common to find the term eLearning in Spanish texts, although it is an anglicism.
Localization in eLearning translation services
Languages have different spacing and grammar rules and can be read from right to left. In this sense, changing the layout, formatting and spacing of your user interface is an important step in the eLearning translation services process.
Likewise, to make your eLearning program content global in scope, both translation and localization services are required to reach audiences across language barriers. Localization of eLearning is a process of adapting digital content, whether educational or training content, for a specific language, market or audience. The goal of these eLearning translation services is to generate in the specific audience the same experiences, sensations and interactions of the content as if it had been originally designed and created for this audience.
Although English is the primary language found on the Internet, it is not the native language of 73% of Internet users. Translation services for eLearning bridge this gap by offering valuable training content in the native language of the users. In this regard, different translation services are required and it is therefore important that an experienced professional translation agency handles this task.
Different file types to work with in a multilingual project:
- Training modules
- Translation of guides and support material
- Translation of web pages
- Translation of questionnaires and evaluations
- Audio scripts: subtitles and voiceover
Different types of content:
- Classroom: instructional content
- New employee orientation and training
- Assessment programs
- Certification and training modules
- Application-based learning
Translation and localization go hand in hand in translation projects
If translating consisted of changing only the words of the content without taking into account the use of vocabulary, grammar and the message to be conveyed, it would not be a complete and adequate job. Important elements such as cultural context, which is covered in the localization stage, handles and changes situations where a paragraph that is acceptable and humorous in one country may be extremely offensive in another. The localization of eLearning content focuses on and respects cultural diversity, which is paramount for any company and the globalized world we live in.
Localization is important for eLearning, as it ensures that your message is communicated correctly and facilitates the learning process so that knowledge is easily obtained and retained, and has an effect on your audience within your target market.
What should you change when localizing your eLearning translations?
- Real-world examples for each cultural group
- Localization ensures that any real-life scenarios in the content correspond to the user’s reality and are not an alien indication of life in another country or hemisphere. The way an employee in Spain greets a customer is different from how it would be done in another Spanish-speaking country. For example, the word “coste” is very much a Spanish word, but it is foreign to other Spanish-speaking countries that use the word “costo”. In this case, a Spanish localization would have to change the way the word is written and take into account the target audience.
- Idioms and colloquial expressions are culture-specific. Therefore, localization ensures that expressions that make sense to the user in his or her language are used. For example, the expression “vale” is very specific to Spain, but is uncommon for other countries that use Spanish.
- Use of a formal or informal tone in the content according to the case and the language.
- Images and illustrations
- An image that explains a point in one country may be confusing or incoherent in another. Similarly, colors have different meanings in different cultures. Ensuring that your brand presentation still conveys the message you want across cultural differences is part of the goal of localization. For example, the thumbs-up sign used to accompany the expression OK is not well understood in Brazil and has a different meaning.
- Standard measurements
- Currencies, dates, time and other figures should be localized for each audience. You do not want to see an example of degrees measured in Fahrenheit in countries that use degrees Celsius. Dates in the U.S. follow the month/day format and in Spanish-speaking countries it is day/month, which is very important for English to Spanish translations of contracts
Remote eLearning Applications
eLearning is remote learning that uses affordable electronic technology and allows individuals to have a personalized pace.
For students and employees worldwide, ABC Translations is a translation agency that offers a localized and well-translated learning experience. Whether the content is intended for an academic institution, a training center, a company or an eLearning service provider, our translation agency has vast experience in translation services for eLearning in various languages and on different platforms.
eLearning for business
With eLearning translation services, a training course or an office presentation is made available to employees around the world. In addition, eLearning content is an effective way for companies to train and share information with their international employees. Translating training courses, presentations and product education materials allows companies to get a greater return on the initial content investment.
eLearning for Human Resources
In a global company, HR must communicate with employees of different languages and nationalities. To create a targeted workflow, standard processes can be automated through eLearning content, such as new employee orientations, product or company information, training, assessments and certification programs.
Document translation and translation services for eLearning give employees around the world the ability to receive the same information translated into the language of their choice. In turn, this allows HR to ensure that understanding and compliance with policies is consistent across the board. In addition, HR often handles confidential personal or legal information. Using a translation agency for legal translation and localization services ensures that there are no errors in these important documents.
One example is the Spanish translation of sexual harassment training to ensure that Spanish-speaking employees understand the material in their native language…
eLearning for schools and higher education systems
What if an academic institution could double or triple its number of students without placing an additional burden on faculty and administrators? This is the benefit of translation services for eLearning, which allows schools to have their content available at a fraction of the cost of hosting students on campus. Students can access this content at their own learning pace, while their process is fully trackable. Teachers can also save time and energy by planning and recording a lesson that is then translated into the most appropriate language for each student. In turn, students always have access to the program and teachers can better manage their workload. An example of this is the translation of a leadership class into Korean.
Multilingual eLearning content
Our eLearning content translation services comprise the components:
- Individual slides
- Images and screenshots
- Videos and subtitles
- Voice-over or multilingual dubbing
- Quizzes, tests and other educational support materials for elementary, middle and high school education, as well as colleges, universities and graduate programs.
- User interface
- Content exported from learning management systems such as Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, and Camtasia
- Different file types:
- XML, HTML5, ASP .NET, InDesign, PowerPoint, files from Adobe or Microsoft programs.
When you work with ABC Translations, an expert in the area and language you need is responsible for localizing your eLearning content. Knowledge of the industry and cultural context are key differentiators for successful eLearning translation services.
Attention to detail
Our team of eLearning translation experts go beyond language translation services to take into account all types of formats, files and educational elements used in other countries to achieve the right translation for each locale.
Our methodical process ensures quality translation services that are tailored to your audience while ensuring accuracy and delivery of the original message.
Interacting with the multilingual world has never been easier. Language barriers can be overcome with a simple call to ABC Translations translation agency to discuss what you need to communicate to your target audience, whether it is a business, educational, entertainment or any other type of platform.
I’m ready to….