Russian Diploma Translations Accepted for School and Work

There are many academic and professional opportunities outside of Russia for individuals educated in Russia. Translating your diploma from Russian to English diploma is often the first step required before a candidate can be accepted into an academic program outside of Russia, or officially be considered for a professional position. To speed up the process, it is a good idea to acquire a certified Russian diploma translation before you start apply to academic programs or jobs outside of Russia. By including an official diploma translation with your applications, you can speed up the process and set yourself apart as somebody who is on-the-ball and prepared.

Common Russian Diplomas We Translate

The Russian Diploma of Incomplete Higher Education

The Russian Diploma of Incomplete Higher Education, or “O Nepolnom Vysshem Obrazovanii,” allows job seekers to obtain jobs that require some higher education, but they are usually jobs that do not require a degree per se. Depending on the level of completion, this may or may not be equivalent to an Associate’s Degree in the eyes of a potential employer. This first level of education in Russia requires at least two years of full-time studies, much like an Associate’s degrees in the U.S.

If your highest degree earned is an “O Nepolnom Vysshem Obrazovanii,” you may want to have it translated along with the corresponding transcript that shows how much you have completed. Some employers may waive the Bachelor’s Degree equivalent if they see proof that you have completed enough coursework in the Russian system to satisfy the requirements for the position you hope to fill.

The Russian Bachelor’s Degree

Like the U.S. Bachelor’s Degree, the Russian “Bakalavr” requires students to complete full-time university-level studies for four years. Unlike the U.S. Bachelor’s Degree’s requirements, fifty to eighty percent of the “Bakalavr” curriculum is mandated by a governmental educational organization. The other fifty percent can be crafted by the university. If you are applying to a Master’s Degree program in the U.S., be sure you get your Russian diploma translated, certified, and notarized. Many U.S. universities will also require a certified and notarized translation of your college transcript.

The Russian Specialist Diploma

Like the U.S. Bachelor’s Degree, the Russian “Bakalavr” requires students to complete full-time If you completed this third level in the Russian university system, you may need a certified and notarized translation of your “Magistr,” or Specialist Diploma. Your Russian Specialist Diploma is usually equivalent to a Master’s Degree in the U.S. In Russia it qualifies you for professional positions and doctoral programs. The difference is that some U.S. Master’s degrees do not require you to defend a thesis, but this seems to be uniformly required to earn your “Magistr” in Russia.

The Russian Doctoral Diploma

The Russian doctoral diploma, or “Kandidat Nauk,” is equivalent to the Ph.D. in the U.S. and in Western Europe. Certified translations of this Russian diploma is requested less frequently than the Russian Bachelor’s degree or Specialist Diploma, mostly because fewer people have them. Researchers and higher-education teachers may enter the highly-competitive “Aspirantura” program in Russia, and we often note this on the official certified diploma translation that we issue.

Another degree that follows the “Kandidat Nauk” is the “Doktor Nauk”. This is roughly “Professor,” in the U.S. educational system. When we translate and certify this Russian diploma, we may include special notes to explain the unique requirements to earn this diploma in Russia since it may not have an equivalent in the U.S. or a different target country.

ABC Translations